Taxing Your Car
  • 1204
  • 0

Taxing Your Car

If you have not received or do not have a Tax Return Online reminder form, you can tax your car using  online tax return  form – ‘Vehicle Licence Application’.

If you live in Australia, you can contact tax accountant Sydney , tax accountant North Sydney or tax accountant Melbourne for office appointments.

The documents that you possess will determine whether you can apply for your tax disc at a Post Office, online or whether you have to go to your local DVLA office.

Our guide looks at how to tax your car without a reminder.

When to apply for your tax disc

If your tax disc is due to expire at the end of the month then you can renew if from the fifth day of the same month.  So, if your car tax is scheduled to run out at the end of November you can renew it on 5th November or later.

If your car isn’t taxed – perhaps you have just purchased it or the tax disc has run out – then you can tax it from the first day of the month in which you apply.

How to tax your car

If you’re the registered keeper of your car, you can renew your tax by using the reference number on your Registration Certificate (V5C).  You can do this online or by telephone.

You can also tax your car in person at any Post Office® branch that issues tax discs.  In order to do this you will need to take:

  • Your Registration Certificate (V5C) or New Keeper Supplement
  • A valid MOT certificate (if the car is over three years old) which must be valid on the date the tax comes into force
  • A valid insurance certificate or cover note, valid on the date the tax comes into force
  • Your payment (unless your car is exempt from payment)

You can also tax your car at a DVLA local office or by post to selected Post Office® branches.  In addition to the information above, you will also need a completed V10 form – ‘Vehicle licence application’.

You can use the New Keeper Supplement for up to two months from the date you bought your car to tax it at the Post Office.  However, you can use it for up to 13 months at your local DVLA Office.

Taxing your car if you also don’t have a Registration Certificate (V5C) or New Keeper Supplement

If you’re shown as the registered keeper of your car on DVLA records, you can tax in person or by post at your nearest DVLA local office.

As well as the documents above, you will also need to complete a V62 form – ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) – which must be accompanied by £25.


You’ll also need to provide proof of your new address if your address has changed (an original utility bill or bank statement or your driving licence).  If your name has changed, you need to provide your marriage certificate, decree nisi, decree absolute or deed poll.

If you’re not shown as the registered keeper on DVLA records you cannot tax the car and you will need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name.


Book your appointment now and get $5 discount.


Here is a text widget settings ipsum lore tora dolor sit amet velum. Maecenas est velum, gravida vehicula dolor


© Copyright 2019 By Cartaxbands